Practical Tips for Food Storage
Extra Food Storage in Dining Hall
Camp Concord provides three meals a day in our dining hall or at off-site activities; therefore it is not necessary to bring food for your camp stay. We know families like to bring special snacks and beverages for children or to enjoy themselves outside of the designated camp meals. Camp can store a limited amount of your extra food in our Dining Hall kitchen overnight and have it accessible for you during the day. However, we do have space limitations. We ask that you contain all food that you ask us to store in a 2-foot by 2-foot by 2-foot crate. This is roughly the size of a small cooler. Camp Concord is not responsible for food that is lost, stolen or spoils while in our storage area.
Storing Additional Food in Cabin or Car
If you choose to store additional food (although it is highly discouraged) in your cabin or car we recommend that you follow certain guidelines. Bears, squirrels and other animals are incredibly curious and have an amazing sense of smell. These animals will associate shapes with food regardless of smell. This may include items that you do not consider food, such as:
- Ice chests
Please follow these guidelines when storing additional food:
- Food should be stored in airtight containers.
- In vehicles, all food and related supplies should be stored out of sight.
- Cover food completely to hide it from view.
- Clean the inside of your vehicle and remove any open drink containers and food (including wrappers).
- Consider cleaning your child’s car seat prior to coming to camp since they often have food spills and smell associated with them.
- Never leave food in shared camp areas unattended.
- Don’t leave food or ice chests outside your cabin.
- Dispose of garbage properly.
- Help us keep a clean camp by doing your part to pick up empty beverage cups or containers, wrappers, spilled food, etc. Our goal is to avoid attracting animals to camp.
Camp Concord is not responsible for loss or damage to personal vehicles or other property that may occur as a result of nature or wildlife.