Laura M. Hoffmeister, Mayor
Ronald E. Leone, Vice Mayor
Edi E. Birsan
Timothy S. Grayson
Daniel C. Helix
1950 Parkside Drive
Concord, CA 94519
Regular Meeting of the Concord City Council
Tuesday, May 10, 2016
5:30 p.m. Closed Session. Closed Session: City Council Conference Room (Wing A). 1950 Parkside Dr.
6:00 p.m. Study Session. Study Session and Open Session: Council Chamber 1950 Parkside Dr.
7:00 p.m. Open Session
Information for the public on participation at Council meetings can be found on the back of the Speaker Identification Card located near the Council Chamber entrance. Should you have any questions after consulting the Speaker Identification Card, please contact the City Clerk prior to the Council meeting.
AGENDIZED ITEMS - The public is entitled to address the City Council on items appearing on the agenda before or during the City Council’s consideration of that item. Each speaker will be limited to approximately three minutes.
- PUBLIC COMMENT (Open Session)
- CLOSED SESSION
- Conference with Labor Negotiators pursuant to Government Code Section 54957.6
City Negotiators: Valerie Barone, City Manager; Jovan Grogan, Deputy City Manager; Jonathan Holtzman, Esq. and Don Turko of Renne, Sloan, Holtzman & Sakai
Employee Organizations: Administrative, Technical & Clerical Representation Unit and Field & Operations Representation Unit of International Brotherhood of Teamsters Local 856; Professional Representation Unit of OPEIU Local 29; Peace Officer Representation Unit of Concord Police Officers Association and Police Managerial Representation Unit of Police Management Association.
Unrepresented Units: Executive, Management & Confidential Employees
- Conference with Labor Negotiators pursuant to Government Code Section 54957.6
- RECESS TO OPEN SESSION
Pledge to the Flag - Councilmember Leone
- PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD
This is a fifteen minute Public Comment Period for items within the City Council's subject matter jurisdiction that are not on this agenda. Each speaker will be limited to approximately three minutes. State law prohibits the City Council from acting at this meeting on any matter raised during the Public Comment Period.
- Study Session Presenting the City's draft Bicycle, Pedestrian and Safe Routes to Transit Plan.
RECESS TO OPEN SESSION
- Presentation - of the Public Works Department Award of Excellence by Director of Public Works Justin Ezell. Introduction by Mayor Hoffmeister.
- Presentation - to Marilyn Fowler, Executive Director Greater Concord Chamber of Commerce, proclaiming May 10, 2016, "Small Business Appreciation Day" in the City of Concord. Introduction by Mayor Hoffmeister.
- Presentation - of Business Recognition Awards to a) Gordon Clarke of Tower Grille; b) Erin Schally of Epidemic Ales; and c) Don Rollins of Don's Cabinet Shop. Overview of program by Pedro Garcia, Economic Development Specialist; introduction of recipients by Marilyn Fowler, Chief Operations Officer of the Concord Greater Chamber of Commerce. Presentations by Mayor Hoffmeister.
- TREASURER'S REPORT
- Receiving - the Quarterly Treasurer's Report for the period January 1 - March 31, 2016 . (No Fiscal Impact) Recommended by the City Treasurer.
- CITY COUNCIL CONSENT CALENDAR
The public is entitled to address the City Council on items appearing on the Consent Calendar before or during the City Council's consideration of the Consent Calendar. Adoption of the Consent Calendar may be made by one motion of the City Council, provided that any Councilmember, individual or organization may request removal of an item from the Consent Calendar for separate consideration. If a request for removal of an item from the Consent Calendar has been received, the Mayor may defer action on the particular item and place the same on the regular agenda for consideration in any order s/he deems appropriate.
- Approving - the minutes from the meetings of February 23, March 1, and March 18, 2016. (No fiscal impact) Recommended by the City Clerk.
- Matter to Set for Public Hearing - on Tuesday, June 7, 2016, at 6:30 p.m. in the Council Chamber - proposal for a Development Agreement between the City of Concord and Swift Realty Partners, LLC
- Matter to Set for Public Hearing - on Tuesday, June 7, 2016, at 6:30 p.m. in the Council Chamber - consideration of the Concord/Pleasant Hill Health Care District Grant Committee FY 2016/17 funding recommendations for community health programs
- Approving - Professional Services Agreement Amendment No. 5 with AECOM of Sacramento in the amount of $281,939.76 for civil engineering design and environmental services for the Citywide Bridge Preventative Maintenance Program (BPMP) 5135 (039), Project No. 2060; extend the Agreement to June 30, 2017; and authorize the City Manager to execute the Amendment (Funded by Cal Trans Grant and Measure J Local). Recommended by the Director of Community and Economic Development
- Confirming - the recommendation for appointment of Keith McMahon to continue to serve as the City of Concord's representative on the Contra Costa County Aviation Advisory Committee for a three-year term ending March 1, 2019. Recommended by the Mayor
- Approving - a budget transfer in the amount of $65,000 for the Detroit Avenue Bicycle and Pedestrian Improvements Project (Project No. 2276) (Funded by Fund 261 - Gas Tax). Recommended by the Director of Community and Economic Development.
- CITY COUNCIL CONSIDERATION ITEMS
The public is entitled to address the City Council on items appearing on the agenda before or during the City Council's consideration of that item. Each speaker will be limited to approximately three minutes.
- Appointing - one applicant to fill an unscheduled vacancy for the business representative on the Measure Q Oversight Committee for a term ending December 31, 2017. Report by Joelle Fockler, City Clerk.
- Considering - a construction contract in the amount of $852,612.95 to Granite Construction of Santa Clara; approving a Professional Services Agreement with Swinerton Management and Consulting of Concord in the amount of $121,880 for construction management services; and authorizing the City Manager to execute the Agreement for Concord Various Streets Preservation, Project No. 2292. (Funded by OBAG Grant, Measure J and CalRecycle Grant) Report by Robert Ovadia, City Engineer. This item was continued from April 26, 2016.
Pursuant to the provisions of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) of 1970, as amended, the project is classified as Categorically Exempt pursuant to Section 15301 Class 1 "Existing Facilities;" therefore, no further environmental review is required.
- CITY COUNCIL PUBLIC HEARING
Persons who wish to speak on Public Hearings listed on the agenda will be heard when the public hearing is opened, except on public hearing items previously heard and closed to public comment. After the public has commented, the item is closed to further public comment and brought to the Council/Agency level for discussion and action. Further comment from the audience will not be received unless requested by the Council/Agency. No public hearing shall commence after 10 p.m. unless approved by majority vote of the City Council.
- Considering - adoption of Resolution 16-31 pursuant to the Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982 (TEFRA) and the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 for the California Statewide Communities Development Authority to Issue Up to $546,000,000 in Tax-Exempt Obligations on Behalf of John Muir Health. Report by Brian Nunnally, Business Development Manager.
- Considering - amendments to Exhibit A to Resolution No. 78-6042 Establishing Fees and Charges for various municipal services in the City of Concord. Resolution No. 16-6042.1 for adoption. Report by Karan Reid, Director of Finance. This item was continued from April 26, 2016.
- REPORTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
Closed Session Announcements
City Manager or Staff Reports
Next Meeting: Regular Meeting
Date: 5/11/2016 - 6:30 p.m.
ADA NOTICE AND HEARING IMPAIRED PROVISIONS - The Council Chamber is equipped with Easy Listener Sound Amplifier units for use by the hearing impaired. The units operate in conjunction with the Chamber's sound system. You may request the Easy Listener Phonic Ear Personal Sound Amplifier from the City Clerk for personal use during Council meetings.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and California Law, it is the policy of the City of Concord to offer its public programs, services and meetings in a manner that is readily accessible to everyone, including those with disabilities. If you are disabled and require a copy of a public hearing notice, or an agenda and/or agenda packet in an appropriate alternative format; or if you require other accommodation, please contact the ADA Coordinator at (925) 671-3021, at least five days in advance of the hearing. Advance notification within this guideline will enable the City to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility.
|Housing and Economic Development||Leone/Helix||4th Monday, 5:30 pm, Garden Conference Room|
|Infrastructure and Franchise||Helix/Birsan||2nd Monday, 5:30 pm, Garden Conference Room|
|Policy Development and Internal Operations||Hoffmeister/Leone||2nd Thursday, 5:30 pm, Garden Conference Room|
|Recreation, Cultural Affairs and Community Services||Grayson/Hoffmeister||3rd Wednesday, 5:30 pm, City Manager's Conference Room|
|Youth and Education||Birsan/Grayson||3rd Monday, 5:30 pm, Garden Conference Room|