Laura M. Hoffmeister, Mayor
Edi E. Birsan, Vice Mayor
Ronald E. Leone
Carlyn S. Obringer
1950 Parkside Drive
Concord, CA 94519
Regular Meeting of the Concord City Council
Tuesday, January 10, 2017
6:00 p.m. Closed Session. City Council Conference Room. 1950 Parkside Drive
6:30 p.m. Open Session. Council Chamber. 1950 Parkside Drive
Information for the public on participation at Council meetings can be found on the back of the Speaker Identification Card located near the Council Chamber entrance. Should you have any questions after consulting the Speaker Identification Card, please contact the City Clerk prior to the Council meeting.
AGENDIZED ITEMS - The public is entitled to address the City Council on items appearing on the agenda before or during the City Council’s consideration of that item. Each speaker will be limited to approximately three minutes.
- PUBLIC COMMENT
- CLOSED SESSION
- CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - ANTICIPATED LITIGATION. Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(d)(2): One potential case
- RECESS TO OPEN SESSION
Pledge to the Flag - Vice Mayor Birsan
- PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD
This is a fifteen minute Public Comment Period for items within the City Council's subject matter jurisdiction that are not on this agenda. Each speaker will be limited to approximately three minutes. State law prohibits the City Council from acting at this meeting on any matter raised during the Public Comment Period.
- Presentation - of Certificates of Recognition to local youth that participated in the California Youth Energy Services Program. Introduction by Mayor Hoffmeister.
- Presentation - by Aaron Hawkins, Concord Pavilion General Manager, providing an update on the Concord Pavilion. Introduction by Mayor Hoffmeister.
- Announcing - a recruitment to fill an unscheduled vacancy for a business representative on the Measure Q Oversight Committee, and setting Friday, February 10, 2017 at 5 p.m. as the deadline for receipt of applications by the City Clerk.
- CITY COUNCIL CONSENT CALENDAR
The public is entitled to address the City Council on items appearing on the Consent Calendar before or during the City Council's consideration of the Consent Calendar. Adoption of the Consent Calendar may be made by one motion of the City Council, provided that any Councilmember, individual or organization may request removal of an item from the Consent Calendar for separate consideration. If a request for removal of an item from the Consent Calendar has been received, the Mayor may defer action on the particular item and place the same on the regular agenda for consideration in any order s/he deems appropriate.
- Considering - approval of the minutes from the meetings of November 29, December 6 and December 13, 2016. Recommended by the City Clerk.
- Considering - adoption of Ordinance No. 16-9 entitled, "An Ordinance Amending Concord Muncipal Code Section 5.05.020 (Article Intended as Revenue Measure) to Specify that a Stamp, Signature, or other Notation on Approved Plans, Business License, or Similar does not Constitute a Zoning Clearance, Administrative Permit, Minor Use Permit, Use Permit, or other Regulatory Approval; Chapter 5.80 (Medical Marijuana Dispensaries) to Rename Chapter and Add Section 5.80.030 Prohibiting Outdoor Marijuana Cultivation; and Section 9.05.020 (Sale and Display of Narcotics and other Paraphernalia) to Rename Section and Clarify the Enforcement of Sale and Display of Prohibited Substances or Paraphernalia." Ordinance No. 16-9 was introduced on December 13, 2016. Recommended by the City Clerk.
The ordinance does not constitute a "project" within the meaning of CEQA Guidelines Section 15060(c)(2) because there is no potential it will result in a direct or reasonably foreseeable indirect physical change in the environment and CEQA Guidelines Section 15378 because it has no potential for resulting in either a direct physical change to the environment, or a reasonably foreseeable indirect physical change in the environment. Even if the ordinance does comprise a project for CEQA analysis, it falls within the "Common Sense" CEQA exemption set forth in 14 Cal Code Regs. Section 15061(b)(3), excluding projects where "it can be seen with certainty that there is no possibility that the activity in question may have a significant effect on the environment."
- Considering - an agreement with Contra Costa County and adoption of Resolution No. 17-7 to jointly establish a development review process and the allocation of any sales tax revenue from an undeveloped parcel of land that shares jurisdiction on the northwest corner of Marsh Drive and Solano Way (Parcel C; APN 125-210-012.) Recommended by the Director of Community and Economic Development.
The agreement is not subject to environmental review under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), as it does not constitute a "project" under CEQA per Public Resources Code Section 21065 and CEQA Guidelines Section 15378.
- Considering - acceptance of Improvements for Concord Various Streets Preservation Project, Project No. 2292; and directing the City Clerk to file a Notice of Completion. Recommended by the Director of Community and Economic Development.
- Considering - approval of a Professional Services Agreement for Financial and Accounting Services in the amount of $50,000 with Robert Half International, Inc.; and authorizing the City Manager to execute the agreement. (General Fund) Recommended by the Director of Finance.
- Considering - acceptance of improvements for Willow Pass Park Field Lights Replacement, Project No. 2347; and directing the City Clerk to file a Notice of Completion. Recommended by the Director of Community and Economic Development.
- Considering - adoption of Resolution No. 17-2 authorizing the Application for FY 2016-17 Transportation Development Act (TDA) Grant Funds to support the West Concord Bikeway Improvements Project for the amount of $120,000. Recommended by the Director of Community and Economic Development.
- Considering - a two-year lease agreement with the Concord Police Association (POA) for use of facilities located at 5060 Avila Road in Concord for a total two-year cost of $78,000, and authorizing the City Manager to execute the agreement. (General Fund) Recommended by the Chief of Police.
- Considering - adoption of Resolution No. 17-4 adopting a Mitigated Negative Declaration pursuant to California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) Guidelines Section 15074 for Citywide Bridge Preventative Maintenance Project - Group 2 Bridges, Project No. 2060/2371. Recommended by the Director of Community and Economic Development.
- CITY COUNCIL CONSIDERATION ITEMS
The public is entitled to address the City Council on items appearing on the agenda before or during the City Council's consideration of that item. Each speaker will be limited to approximately three minutes.
- Considering - review of the Draft Subdivision Ordinance, and providing feedback to staff. Report by G. Ryan Lenhardt, Senior Planner.
- Considering - adoption of Resolution No. 17-3 establishing a Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee and calling for a recruitment. Report by Laura Simpson, Planning Manager.
- Considering - a Draft Technical Study for Community Choice Aggregation Program in Contra Costa County. Report by Michael P. Cass, Principal Planner.
- Considering - acceptance of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report with Independent Auditors' Report and Required Communications Letter for the Fiscal Year Ending June 30, 2016. Report by Suzanne McDonald, Financial Operations Manager.
- Considering - a selection process to fill current City Councilmember vacancy. Report by Joelle Fockler, City Clerk.
Correspondence received at the City Council meeting will be listed here on the Annotated Agenda.
- January 22 - 28, 2017 National School Choice Week Proclamation (scanned to requestor)
- December 14, 2016 Mike Rose Autobody Proclamation (delivered to Mike's Autobody)
- January 14, 2017 Kitakami 20th Anniversary of Assembly Hall Proclamation (to be presented in Kitakami by Concord Ambassadors)
- REPORTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
Closed Session Announcements
City Manager or Staff Reports
Next Meeting: Regular Meeting
Date: 1/24/2017 - 6:30 p.m.
ADA NOTICE AND HEARING IMPAIRED PROVISIONS - The Council Chamber is equipped with Easy Listener Sound Amplifier units for use by the hearing impaired. The units operate in conjunction with the Chamber's sound system. You may request the Easy Listener Phonic Ear Personal Sound Amplifier from the City Clerk for personal use during Council meetings.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and California Law, it is the policy of the City of Concord to offer its public programs, services and meetings in a manner that is readily accessible to everyone, including those with disabilities. If you are disabled and require a copy of a public hearing notice, or an agenda and/or agenda packet in an appropriate alternative format; or if you require other accommodation, please contact the ADA Coordinator at (925) 671-3021, at least five days in advance of the hearing. Advance notification within this guideline will enable the City to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility.
The following is a list of regular Council Committee meeting dates. Most meetings are held in the Garden Conference Room, 1950 Parkside Drive, Concord. NOTE: Meetings are subject to change or cancellation. For latest information and committee agendas please call 671-3158.
|Policy Development & Internal Operations||Hoffmeister/Birsan||2nd Thursday at 6:00 pm|
|Housing & Economic Development||Leone/Obringer||4th Monday at 5:30 pm|
|Infrastructure & Franchise||Birsan/Hoffmeister||2nd Monday at 6:00 pm|
|Recreation, Cultural Affairs & Community Services||Obringer/McGallian||3rd Wednesday at 5:30 pm|
|Youth & Education||McGallian/Leone||3rd Monday at 5:30 pm|