We often receive telephone calls regarding animals – everything from crowing roosters to loose dogs to pet rats. Did you know that the City of Concord has a contract with County Animal Control to handle animal-related nuisances within our City limits? Here are some answers to commonly asked questions about this issue:

Q: Sometimes I feel like I live next door to Old MacDonald – the one with the farm? My neighbor has barking dogs and squealing pigs. It's driving me crazy. Is there anything I can do?

A. These types of noise complaints are not easy to enforce. You may want to talk to your neighbor about your concerns, and see if they are willing to take some steps to minimize the problem. For example, if the animals make a lot of noise first thing in the morning, perhaps your neighbor could keep the animals enclosed in the garage during the early morning hours. In any case, County Animal Control is responsible for addressing these kinds of animal noise concerns within the City of Concord. Give them a call at (925) 335-8300. Animal Control will investigate the matter, and if they find violations or significant noise levels, they will pursue a case provided you are willing to sign a complaint.

Q: My neighbor keeps fowl in their yard. Isn't that illegal in Concord?

A. Keep in mind Concord was once an agricultural community. It is not illegal to have a chicken at a private residence. In fact, you can have up to 12 chickens on one property, provided they are kept caged in an enclosure. The enclosure can't be any closer than 25 feet from the property line, and the enclosure and the chickens must be maintained under sanitary conditions. Effective August 7, 2014 no Concord resident may keep roosters hatched or acquired after this date. Roosters hatched or acquired prior to August 7, 2014 must be removed from Concord no later than August 7, 2015.

Q: What should I do if I see a loose dog running around the neighborhood?

A. If the dog appears to be vicious or is creating an immediate safety hazard (by running through traffic, etc.) then contact the Police Department by dialing 9-1-1. Otherwise, you can contact Animal Control at (925) 335-8300. In an emergency situation, Police Dispatch will send out an officer to try to address the problem, and the Police Department will also contact Animal Control and coordinate a response as necessary.

Q: What if the problem has to do with rats, mice and skunks?

A. In cases relating to these types of animals, rats and mice, you'll need to contact the Contra Costa Mosquito and Vector Control for assistance. Mosquito and Vector Control is responsible for mosquito abatement and addressing issues having to do with rats and mice. You can reach the Contra Costa Mosquito and Vector Control at (925) 685-9301. For raccoons, you need to contract with a private company that handles pest control.

If you have issues or questions on squirrels, please contact the Agricultural Department at (925) 646-5250.

City of Concord CA