City of Concord, California

Voting and Election Information

City Clerk
Joelle FocklerJoelle Fockler
City Clerk
(925) 671-3390
Serves as the local Elections Official and administers democratic processes to assure all legislative actions are properly recorded and city records available to the public. The City Clerk acts as a compliance officer for federal, state, and local statutes including the Political Reform Act, the Brown Act, and the Public Records Act.

City Council

Beginning with the November 2018 election, voters will participate in the first district-based election, when three City Council seats will be up for election. The seats up for election are in Districts 1, 3, and 5.

Councilmember terms overlap, with three Councilmembers elected one year and the other two elected two years later. Councilmembers serve a four-year term. The Councilmembers choose amongst themselves who will serve as Mayor and Vice Mayor, who serve a one-year term. The City Councilmembers also serve as the Local Reuse Authority for the Concord Naval Weapons Station, Successor Agency to the Concord Redevelopment Agency, and the Concord/Pleasant Hill Health Care District.

Beginning with the November 2018 election, voters will participate in the first district-based election, when three City Council seats will be up for election. The seats up for election are in Districts 1, 3, and 5.

Find Your District in Concord, CA

In the November 2020 election, voters in Districts 2 and 4 will elect a Councilmember.

During the 2018 and 2020 elections, candidates will be elected from districts where they live pursuant to the following timetable:

District Seat up for Election Current Councilmember(s)
District 1 November 2018 Laura Hoffmeister
Ron Leone
District 2 November 2020 Carlyn Obringer
District 3 November 2018 Vacant
District 4 November 2020 Edi Birsan
District 5 November 2018 Tim McGallian

District Map

Concord CA District Elections Click here to see the Districts Map.

Click here to find your District.

The City Council meets on the first, second, and fourth Tuesday of each month. In addition to regularly scheduled Council meetings, Councilmembers will generally spend time reviewing material in preparation for the meetings; attend additional meetings as necessary, including Council Committee meetings; and may be required to travel. City Councilmembers are compensated $1,300 per month.

City Treasurer

The City Treasurer is an elected position that serves at large for a four-year term and does not serve the City on a fulltime basis. The City Treasurer seat is up for election in November 2018. The duties associated with the office of Treasurer are performed by the Senior Financial Analyst, a regular City employee within the City's Finance Department. The Treasurer serves primarily in an advisory capacity and provides oversight in the following areas:

  • Effectively managing the City's investment portfolio;
  • Monitoring cash flow requirements to ensure sufficient liquidity;
  • Providing quarterly investment portfolio reports to the City Council within 30 days of quarter end; and
  • Reviewing and updating the City's Investment Policy prior to submission to the City Council annually.

The City Treasurer is compensated $600 per month.

Eligibility and Candidacy

To be eligible to run for City Council or City Treasurer, you must be a registered voter of Concord at the time nomination papers are issued. Registered voters in Concord must be U.S. citizens, residents of Concord, 18 years of age or older on the date of the election, and must have not been convicted of designated crimes as specified in the state constitution and laws. Per Election Code Section 201, City Council candidates must be residents and registered voters in the district they are running to represent.

Municipal elections are held on even-numbered years, in November, in accordance with Concord Municipal Code Chapter 2.35, Section 3.25.010.

Voter Registration

Secretary of State. Register to VoteVoters qualify for registration by being a U.S. citizen, 18 years of age or older, a resident of Concord, and neither in prison or on parole, serving a state prison sentence in a county jail, or serving sentence for a felony, and not found to be mentally incompetent by a court of law. Reregistration is required if you have moved since you last registered, changed your name, or changed your political party affiliation. Per Government Code Section 34883, registered voters must be residents of the district from which the candidate is to be elected. The voter registration deadline is 15 days prior to an election.

Key Election Dates

July 16 – August 10, 2018
Candidate filing period.

August 11 – 15, 2018
Extended candidate filing period for offices for which no incumbent files nomination papers by August 10. Only non-incumbents may file.

November 6, 2018
Election Day – polls open at 7 a.m. and close at 8 p.m.


City of Concord CA